The firm began in 1963 as Murray, Scott & McGavick following the merger of Murray, Graves & Murray and Scott, Langhorne & McGavick. The original members of the firm were E.K. Murray (admitted in 1913), Byron D. Scott (1923), Leo A. McGavick (1930), Ray Graves (1952), E.M. Murray (1953), and Edward M. Lane (1954). Beginning in the Washington Building, the firm has always maintained its offices in downtown Tacoma. The firm was also located in the Wells Fargo Building before moving in 1983 to its current location in the Columbia Bank Building on 11th and Broadway.
The new firm grew by hiring associates and inviting other established attorneys to join as partners. The name of the firm changed many times over the years, finally becoming known as McGavick Graves, after two of its founding partners, Leo A. McGavick and Ray Graves.
The founding partners built the firm on a commitment to providing a complete range of quality legal services to business and municipal clients. As it has evolved, the firm has remained dedicated to its original tenets while expanding the scope of available representation to include commercial and consumer litigation, all areas of family law, real estate, estate and tax planning, personal injury, and employment & labor law, among others.